Bookings & Enquiries: +44 (0)1803 213 311
Hesketh Cresent was commissioned by Sir Lawrence Palk, the Fourth Baronet who was elevated to a peerage in 1880 and became “Lord Haldon, of Haldon, Devon” and after whom Haldon Pier Road were named. The Crescent was designed by the brothers William and John Harvey and was completed in 1848, taking two years to construct. It has been reported as being “The Finest crescent of houses in the west of England” and John Wilson wrote “The Regency ideals of London and Brighton reached their highest standard in the building of Hesketh Crescent.” The Crescent originally called “Meadfoot Crescent” was renamed “Hesketh Crescent” in 1849 after the first fruit of Sir Lawrence’s marriage to Maria Hesketh in 1945, their first son was called Lawrence Hesketh Palk. The Palk family had been notable landowners in and around Torquay for generations and produced the first town plan for Torquay.